The lightest steel travel tandem with Di2 shifting
2017 has been a record year for tandem bicycles, and the super light travel tandem is no exception!
Rodriguez Ultra-light tandems offer many advantages over other brands:
- A Rodriguez rides like steel because it is steel
- Rodriguez Tandems are built custom to fit both riders at no extra charge
- We don't skimp or use tricky weight saving techniques like leaving out the Stiffener Tube
- Rodriguez Tandems are built to last forever without the use of non-standard parts
- A custom built fork that's not only tandem rated, but handles better than any carbon fork on the market
- An adjustable stoker to dial in your stoker's fit, then a super-light steel or titanium fixed position stem to shave another pound or two
- A lifetime frame and fork warranty (most carbon frames have very limited warranties)
For a decade now, we here at Rodriguez have been known for building some of the lightest tandem bikes
on the road. One surprising thing about these bicycles built for two is that they are made of good ol' American steel! Well actually, they are made of the New American Steel
. In 2007 we introduced our 25.8 pound Ultra-light tandem
and shocked our competition
. Since the bike's introduction, we've sold them steadily, and in 2016 the sales increased substantially. For 2017, we've seen almost doubled the 2016 numbers!
Now you don't have to sacrifice weight to have the durability, comfort, and superior performance of a hand-built steel tandem.
In the last 2 years, we've seen most of these bikes go as travel versions using the S&S couplings. This adds 2.7 pounds of weight, but we've been busy shaving weight where we can and now have these incredible bikes down to a science in the travel version as well. I thought it was time for a highlight on one that's just coming through the assembly dept. now. This one is a Shimano Di2 version, and has a few weight adding additions, but still comes out incredibly light!
The Current Tandem at Hand
The Weight Break Down on this bike goes like this:
- Rodriguez Ultra-light Base Tandem Model (28.6 pounds)
- Rodriguez Travel Upgrade (+2.7 lbs)
- Cantilever brakes for extra wide tire clearance (+8 oz)
- Di2 Shifting with battery (+1.45 lbs)
- Option for Arai drag brake (+5 oz)
- Spinergy Tandem Wheelset upgrade option (-5 oz)
Including the above list of weight additions, final weight on this bike will be 32.5 lbs
once the included lightweight custom steel stoker stem is installed (33.25 lbs as pictured). Our ultra-light tandem models come stock with a temporary adjustable stoker stem
that is heavier. Once the stoker's fit is completely dialed in, measurements are taken of the final preferred position and a lightweight steel (titanium in the case of the Record Tandem) fixed position stem is built to replace it.
Realize, when I quote weights, I'm quoting verified true digital scale weights that we will stand behind with a 'no bull' money back guarantee. This oneclocked in at just 33lbs 4oz with the adjustable stem and the other options.
This Rodriguez Travel Tandem with Ultegra Di2 is not only great looking, but only weighs 33lbs 4oz as pictured here with the Gate's Carbon Drive timing belt and some other upgrades that add some weight. Subtract 3/4lbs when the included ultra-light stem replaces the adjustable.
Lightened couplers and braze-ons all around help to keep this flyweight tandem one of the lightest, best performing tandems available today. This customer also chose to add rear rack braze-ons for light touring. At Rodriguez, your bike is really 'your bike'. Just tell us what you want and we will make it happen!
The custom Rodriguez light steel tandem fork, with the choice of slightly heavier cantilever brakes for use with wide tires and fenders if desired.
View the full photo gallery for this bike here
If you or anyone you know, has been considering a high-end tandem, ultra-light or not, we ask you to consider a Rodriguez Custom Tandem
. We build every tandem by hand, custom for its owners. We've been doing it longer than anyone else too. Since 1973
we've been building our tandems right here in Seattle's University district. We'd love to be your tandem shop.
Current Wait Times:
Custom Bike - 6~8 weeks
Bike Repair - 1 week